Aggressive Predators United

Aggressive Predators United Fish Forum - The Fastest Growing and Most Viewed Freshwater Online Community Dedicated to Rare, Exotic and Predatory Fish.

Ok APU,Time too send in your pics for the next POTM contest... Please email me at metal.maniac@live.com or please PM myself ...Depending on how many pics we get and the variety of species we will have several categories...Only 1 pic per member per species so you can send in 1 fish 1 cat 1 lizard just not 2 fish 2 cat...you get the idea!!...So send em in and lets make this a BIG ONE!!!... Cheers!!!...Metal Maniac and the APU Staff
APU is on Aquarium Directory- AquariumLinks.net!!!...check it out!!!
Please Vote For Us On AquaRank!!!

Affiliates

Cichlid Forum

Herp Center Network

Monster Fishkeepers

Aqua Adverts

APU Ads

Google

BETTAWAN

Dried Indian Almond Leaves

SnakeHeads (Channa)

Metal Maniac
    Metal Maniac
    Administrator-Founder-Owner

Male Number of posts : 2242
    Birthday : 1970-11-17
    Humor : Raunchie!!!
    Registration date : 2009-03-05

SnakeHeads (Channa) Empty SnakeHeads (Channa)

Post by Metal Maniac on Sat 28 Mar 2009, 08:38

SnakeHeads (Channa)

Snakeheads became the focus of a lot of media attention when living and breeding specimens were found wild in U.S. waters. The natural habitats for Snakeheads are located in Africa and South East Asia. Snakeheads are highly capable predators and will consume prey as large as half their own size. Snakeheads could therefore possibly disrupt the U.S. fauna a great deal and cause irreparable changes, since Snakeheads are not a natural part of the U.S. ecosystems. To avoid this from happening, importing Snakeheads to the U.S. is illegal since 2003. They can however still be found at some Asian food markets in the U.S. The Snakehead is considered a delicates in Asia as well as in Africa.

All Snakehead species are equipped with a labyrinth organ that makes it possible for them to breed oxygen directly from the air. It is an adaptation to a life in low oxygen waters, and is also very useful when a puddle or small lake is dried out and the Snakehead needs to walk on land to find a new home. The Snakeheads must be allowed to reach the surface to breed, and if they are kept in an aquarium that prevents them from doing this they will drown. The largest Snakehead species can reach a length of almost one metre (approximately one yard).

A lot of aquarists are displeased with the U.S. ban on Snakehead import, since the Snakeheads are popular aquarium fish in the U.S. The Snakeheads are native to warm areas of the world, and will therefore require warm temperatures to survive. This makes it impossible for Snakeheads to stay alive in the wild in large areas of the U.S., since the climate is much too cold for them. They would therefore never be able to multiply in these areas even if they were released into the wild by irresponsible aquarists.
    TheBigEasy
    TheBigEasy
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Male Number of posts : 114
    Birthday : 1981-11-21
    Humor : wat
    Registration date : 2009-04-02

SnakeHeads (Channa) Empty Re: SnakeHeads (Channa)

Post by TheBigEasy on Thu 14 May 2009, 19:25

are you sure they cant survive in colder climates? I have heard they are over taking the East coast as far north as the carolinas which get pretty cold.
    Metal Maniac
    Metal Maniac

Male Number of posts : 2242
    Birthday : 1970-11-17
    Humor : Raunchie!!!
    Registration date : 2009-03-05

Post by Metal Maniac on Sun 31 May 2009, 16:44

They can for sure..where i live in Canada it gets VERY cold but they seem too make!

Not all will but most can

This info i posted is based on the majority!!!

BTW-Damn hard fish to find in Canada...i've been on a steady search for 2 weeks for one of these guys and i think i will be in luck at the begining of this uopcoming week!

I will keep all posted!

P.S.-hey pbbost..i thin k i'm in luck!!! SnakeHeads (Channa) 63052

http://www.opefe.com/

SnakeHeads (Channa) 1893667bd2edba6m3

SnakeHeads (Channa) New_un11

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jun 2019, 10:12