Aggressive Predators United

Aggressive Predators United Fish Forum - The Fastest Growing and Most Viewed Freshwater Online Community Dedicated to Rare, Exotic and Predatory Fish.

Ok APU,Time too send in your pics for the next POTM contest... Please email me at metal.maniac@live.com or please PM myself ...Depending on how many pics we get and the variety of species we will have several categories...Only 1 pic per member per species so you can send in 1 fish 1 cat 1 lizard just not 2 fish 2 cat...you get the idea!!...So send em in and lets make this a BIG ONE!!!... Cheers!!!...Metal Maniac and the APU Staff
APU is on Aquarium Directory- AquariumLinks.net!!!...check it out!!!
Please Vote For Us On AquaRank!!!

Affiliates

Cichlid Forum

Herp Center Network

Monster Fishkeepers

Aqua Adverts

APU Ads

Google

BETTAWAN

Dried Indian Almond Leaves

Care of Green Tree Frogs (also a general care sheet for other species of tree frog)

Prodigium Phoenix
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Male Number of posts : 88
    Birthday : 1984-11-14
    Humor : a gorilla walks into a bar
    Registration date : 2009-04-02

Care of Green Tree Frogs (also a general care sheet for other species of tree frog)

Post by Prodigium Phoenix on Sat 04 Apr 2009, 21:39

Green Tree Frog (H. cinerea)

Size
    About 1 and 1/4 inches to 2 and 1/2 inches. Females are generally larger.

Sexing
    Other than the general size differance, males have a darker "dirty-yellow" throat.

Variation
    Some individuals have a fair amount of golden yellow spotting and some have more distinct silvery-white side stripes.

Call
    Males can be quite noisy when a low pressure system moves in. Some say it's similar to a small dog. Many people have asked me where my dog was when my frogs call. lol!

Temperature
    Green tree frogs require a temps between 76 and 85 degrees. I keep mine at 80. They can tolerate drops to 67 degrees at night. Most frogs don't bask in areas like reptiles, because of this basking lights are not the best way to heat a tree frog enclosure. In general, frogs should be kept in rooms that are in the range of their temperature tolerance. DO NOT use "hot-rocks" in your tank, they can easily burn your frogs. A low wattage incandescent bulb can be used during the day. Heating pads can be used under the enclosure but aren't the best choice in my opinion. If you have a water area a submersible heater can be used, but not as the only source of heat.

Lighting
    To maintain your plants and provide light and heat for your frogs, a full spectrum fluorescent is recommended. They allow plants to flourish and bring out the natural colors of the plants and frogs. Live plants are not necessary, but along with keeping your frogs happy, they will help regulate the humidity in the tank. If you don't want to use live plants, plastic plants can be used and you wont need anything more than a regular aquarium light. I like to use a combination of live and fake plants in my tank.

Humidity
    The relative humidity should be kept between 60 and 70. This is much easier to maintain if you have live plants in your enclosure. You can mist the tank with de-chlorinated water to raise the humidity, however, saturated humidity levels are fatal. If you live in an area where the humidity is normally high, you can place the tank in a room with a dehumidifier and then mist the tank if/when it drops below 60. Or if your area normally has a low humidity you can place them in a room with a humidifier. No matter what the situation, monitor the humidity regularly.

Housing
    First of all you should have your tank set up and running at least a month before adding your frogs. It needs time to cycle(just like a fishtank), especially if you use live plants(recommended.) However if this is not possible, or you are adding new frogs to a populated tank, you will need to make a quarantine tank. A plastic container with plain newsprint or brown paper on the bottom, a water dish and something to climb on is all you need for a temporary housing. Make sure to moniter the temperature and humidity and spray the container with de-chlorinated water when needed.
    To create a basic tree frog vivarium you will need an all-glass enclosure with a screen top. A minimum of 20g is recommended. You can set it up horizontally or vertically(silicon a piece of plexiglass to the bottom of the opening to hold in substrate and water and turn the screen top into a screen door.) The general rule for tree frogs is 1 frog per 5 gallons (up to 4 in a 20g tank) However, even if you only have one frog you still need the minimum of a 20g tank. If you have a larger frog like the whites tree frog the general rule is 1 frog per 15g.

Substrate
    The most common used substrate is 1-2 inch layer of pea gravel(large enought that the frogs cant swallow it.) You can add water up to half the height of the substrate to raise the humidity. A layer of green sheet moss can be used but is harder to maintain unless you do the following.
    In a 30g enclosure or larger, move the gravel away in one area creating a "pool area" which exposes the glass on the bottom of the tank. Make sure the water level is shallow enough that your frogs wont drown. Then place larger rocks in that area to hold back the pea gravel and to make it look more pleasing and natural. Driftwood can be used if the water area is big enough (cleaning and preping of driftwood is the same as in a fish tank.) This set up is not recommended unless you use a type of pump and filter creating a water fall. Place the pump on the opposite side of the pool area and place the outtake tube above the water level in an area near the pool area. You can disguise the tube with rocks. Otherwise you will need to syphon out the old water and replace with clean water daily. Green Tree Frogs need a constant supply of clean water. Whether it's from a water area or a water dish. Either setup you choose, you need to flush the moss with de-chlorinated water down into the pool area and do a full water change. If you have a pump and filter this can be done monthly, if you don't it will need to be done daily. Live plants, such as Pothos Ivy or Chinese Evergreen, can be placed in jars in the gravel. There are also many other types of live plants that don't require soil. However there are many cool plants that do. Instead of using green sheet moss on top of the pea gravel you can use a layer of peat moss based potting soil about 2-3 inches thick. Plant your tropical plants right into the substrate, no jars needed. I highly recommend bromeliads and philodendrons, along with the pothos and chinese evergreen mentioned earlier. A thin layer of green sheet moss is then placed on top of the soil and the cleaning process is the same as described earlier. If live plants don't interest you, regular aquarium gravel along with some river rock can be used.

Background
    A background can simply be a picture on the outside of the back of the tank. This is the cheaper way to go and some of the premade backgrounds are pretty cool. However, corkbark is my choice pick for backgrounds. You can attach it to the back of the tank with silicon. It looks very natural and the frogs love it. Certain types of moss can be attached to it also. There are also many types of purchasable 3d backgrounds or you can just make your own.

Water and Diet
    If you don't have a water area in your enclosure, a water dish is necessary. I needs to be taken out, rinsed off and cleaned daily. Always refill it with de-chlorinated water. You can use regular tap water to clean it.
    Crickets should be the staple food for green tree frogs. A general rule for the size of food is it should be no longer than the head of the frog. Wax worms can be fed as part of a varied diet. Meal worms or super worms can be fed but only once a month or less because they are high in fat. Your tree frogs should be fed at night, when they are most active. Make sure and dust crickets with a calcium supplement weekly. Juveniles should be fed daily with appropriatly sized insects. Adults can be fed every 2-3 days. I feed my 2 adults 12 crickets 2-3 times a week, with a bi-weekly treat of waxworms. Do not overfeed your tree frogs. They can become obese to the point where it effects their health. If you notice your frogs getting too chubby, add an extra day in between feedings.

Maintaining the Enclosure
    You will see, as your green tree frogs start exploring the tank, that they will leave skin mucus on the glass. Regular misting will make it easy to clean. Mist the tank with de-chlorinated water and wipe the glass clean with a paper towel. Misting will also help rinse the poop off the various plants and other objects in the enclosure. Cleaning is easier in the morning when the poop has less time to dry out. Then use the flush system mentioned earlier to finish cleaning.

Last edited by Metal Maniac on Mon 06 Apr 2009, 17:39; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : more info)
    Metal Maniac
    Administrator-Founder-Owner
    Administrator-Founder-Owner

Male Number of posts : 2242
    Birthday : 1970-11-17
    Humor : Raunchie!!!
    Registration date : 2009-03-05

Re: Care of Green Tree Frogs (also a general care sheet for other species of tree frog)

Post by Metal Maniac on Mon 06 Apr 2009, 17:41

Very Nice Info Prodigium Phoenix!

..and great post!!!

I BOLTED this one for ya!

Cheers!!!

http://www.opefe.com/

Prodigium Phoenix
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Male Number of posts : 88
    Birthday : 1984-11-14
    Humor : a gorilla walks into a bar
    Registration date : 2009-04-02

Re: Care of Green Tree Frogs (also a general care sheet for other species of tree frog)

Post by Prodigium Phoenix on Wed 08 Apr 2009, 01:12

Metal Maniac wrote:Very Nice Info Prodigium Phoenix!

..and great post!!!

I BOLTED this one for ya!

Cheers!!!
    Thanks man, hope it helps.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 18 Dec 2018, 22:21