Aggressive Predators United

Aggressive Predators United Fish Forum - The Fastest Growing and Most Viewed Freshwater Online Community Dedicated to Rare, Exotic and Predatory Fish.

Ok APU,Time too send in your pics for the next POTM contest... Please email me at metal.maniac@live.com or please PM myself ...Depending on how many pics we get and the variety of species we will have several categories...Only 1 pic per member per species so you can send in 1 fish 1 cat 1 lizard just not 2 fish 2 cat...you get the idea!!...So send em in and lets make this a BIG ONE!!!... Cheers!!!...Metal Maniac and the APU Staff
APU is on Aquarium Directory- AquariumLinks.net!!!...check it out!!!
Please Vote For Us On AquaRank!!!

Affiliates

Cichlid Forum

Herp Center Network

Monster Fishkeepers

Aqua Adverts

APU Ads

Google

BETTAWAN

Dried Indian Almond Leaves

Looking for a positive ID on a Serrasalmus species.

Poll

What species of Serrasalmus do you think this is?

[ 2 ]
    Looking for a positive ID on a Serrasalmus species. I_vote_lcap100%Looking for a positive ID on a Serrasalmus species. I_vote_rcap [100%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Looking for a positive ID on a Serrasalmus species. I_vote_lcap0%Looking for a positive ID on a Serrasalmus species. I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Looking for a positive ID on a Serrasalmus species. I_vote_lcap0%Looking for a positive ID on a Serrasalmus species. I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]

Total Votes: 2
    diogenes
    diogenes
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Male Number of posts : 78
    Humor : dark, sarcastic, twisted, cynical
    Registration date : 2009-03-08

Looking for a positive ID on a Serrasalmus species. Empty Looking for a positive ID on a Serrasalmus species.

Post by diogenes on Thu 09 Apr 2009, 02:36

This is my fish; his name is Darwin. He's obviously a serra. I bought him at about 5". He's about 6" or so now. I've tried to get conclusive ID on him 3 times before. I bought him as a Serrasalmus marginatus. Most people I have met think he's a S. compressus. I must admit I think he's an S. compressus myself. Frank from OPEFE looked at it and thought the pics weren't good enough, to wait a year and take more pics. It's been about 3 or 4 months I think since then. Maybe we could give it another shot?

He's from Brazil. He cost about $60.00. He was labeled S. marginatus.. His fins were frayed when i got him. I added tonic salt one time and his color and fins improved. I haven't added salt since then.

Looking for a positive ID on a Serrasalmus species. DarwinProfile1

Looking for a positive ID on a Serrasalmus species. Picture531

POTM winner:
    Looking for a positive ID on a Serrasalmus species. LRfish41of1

Looking for a positive ID on a Serrasalmus species. Picture452

Any ideas?

Elite Member
    Elite Member

Looking for a positive ID on a Serrasalmus species. Empty Re: Looking for a positive ID on a Serrasalmus species.

Post by diogenes on Thu 09 Apr 2009, 17:59

bizump

Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Male Number of posts : 633
    Birthday : 1979-09-09
    Humor : Usually:),..
    Registration date : 2009-03-07

Looking for a positive ID on a Serrasalmus species. Empty Re: Looking for a positive ID on a Serrasalmus species.

Post by Cam on Thu 09 Apr 2009, 23:53

I hate to say it, but i really can't say for sure between the 2,..
    Body characteristics are so similar that there is still some debate
    weather Marginatus are actually a separate species or just regional
    variants of Compressus. Both fish are collected in Brazil, so, unless
    you know or can find out the river it was collected from,..everything
    else will be best guesses i'm afraid. One thing i can tell ya, he's
    an Awesome looking Serra!!
    diogenes
    diogenes
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post by diogenes on Fri 10 Apr 2009, 10:12

Cam wrote:I hate to say it, but i really can't say for sure between the 2,..
    Body characteristics are so similar that there is still some debate
    weather Marginatus are actually a separate species or just regional
    variants of Compressus. Both fish are collected in Brazil, so, unless
    you know or can find out the river it was collected from,..everything
    else will be best guesses i'm afraid. One thing i can tell ya, he's
    an Awesome looking Serra!!

thanks cam. That's pretty much the same thing frank said. Looks like I may never know what he is. There are a few things that indicate comp over marginatus. They are as follows:

Caudal fin pattern: Darwin has a black band proximal to the caudal puduncle, a large area of hyaline tissue, and sometimes a black terminal band on the caudal fin. This is indicative of 3 species that I know of, compressus, alutvei, and eigenmanni (or humeralis.) The marginatus on the other hand has a dark V proximal to the caudal peduncle and that V extends all the way to the end of the fin tips on either direction. The rest of the caudal fin is hyaline tissue.

3rd and 4rth ray extensions on dorsal and anal fins: This is the most obvious difference. S. marginatus displays an elongated 3rd and 4th fin ray on the dorsal and anal fins. This extension causes the fin to elongate and take on a hooked apearance. This trait is not present in my fish. I thought it came with maturity, but apparently several marg keepers have told me their margs had it from like 4 inches on.

Localized pgimentation: His spots morph from spots to bars regularly, sometimes they extend almost to the serrae, most times they are well proximated above the lateral line. They usually look like elongated spots or bars. This is indicative of those 3 species more so than marginatus whose spotting is round, small, and extended well below the lateral line. Altuvei's usually have pigmentation well below the lateral line also.

He's not quite laterally compressed enough to be an eigenmanni. His shape is much more characteristic of altuvei or compressus. Because he was shipped from brazil, it's much more likely that he is a compressus, rather than altuvei as the latter are localized to venezuela.

These are just some theories I have developed trying to ID my fish. If anybody has an thoughts please feel free to share.

Thanks,
    -C

Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Male Number of posts : 633
    Birthday : 1979-09-09
    Humor : Usually:),..
    Registration date : 2009-03-07

Post by Cam on Fri 10 Apr 2009, 11:37

I agree, but remember that pigmentation can also vary depending
    on collection point,..hues from blue/purple/green to even light
    yellows. They can also show more or less silver,..spots morphing
    to bars would be a trait S.Compressus,..also banding. My best
    guess is also S.Compressus.
    diogenes
    diogenes
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post by diogenes on Tue 14 Apr 2009, 22:17

come on I know we've got more Piranha people on here than this. Thanks for the look cam. Anyone else? Please?

Administrator-Founder-Owner
    Administrator-Founder-Owner

Male Number of posts : 2242
    Birthday : 1970-11-17
    Humor : Raunchie!!!
    Registration date : 2009-03-05

Post by Metal Maniac on Sun 31 May 2009, 21:22

Come on APU...lets get some votes!!!

I know the majority of members have kept Piranha and know a fair bit

What do you think diogenes is housing there???

http://www.opefe.com/

Looking for a positive ID on a Serrasalmus species. 1893667bd2edba6m3

Looking for a positive ID on a Serrasalmus species. New_un11

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jun 2019, 10:12