Aggressive Predators United

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Aggressive Predators United

Aggressive Predators United Fish Forum - The Fastest Growing and Most Viewed Freshwater Online Community Dedicated to Rare, Exotic and Predatory Fish.

Ok APU,Time too send in your pics for the next POTM contest... Please email me at metal.maniac@live.com or please PM myself ...Depending on how many pics we get and the variety of species we will have several categories...Only 1 pic per member per species so you can send in 1 fish 1 cat 1 lizard just not 2 fish 2 cat...you get the idea!!...So send em in and lets make this a BIG ONE!!!... Cheers!!!...Metal Maniac and the APU Staff
APU is on Aquarium Directory- AquariumLinks.net!!!...check it out!!!
Please Vote For Us On AquaRank!!!

Affiliates

Cichlid Forum

Herp Center Network

Monster Fishkeepers

Aqua Adverts

APU Ads

Google

BETTAWAN

Dried Indian Almond Leaves

+3
Cam
Hank Scorpion
Metal Maniac
7 posters

Why has no one bred the Black Rhom Yet???

Metal Maniac
    Metal Maniac
    Administrator-Founder-Owner

Male Number of posts : 2242
    Birthday : 1970-11-17
    Humor : Raunchie!!!
    Registration date : 2009-03-05

Why has no one bred the Black Rhom Yet??? Empty Why has no one bred the Black Rhom Yet???

Post by Metal Maniac Sun 31 May 2009, 21:38

Hey APU,

Why has no one bred the Black Rhom Yet???

I search everyday too find the answer but OPEFE has about the only answer that makes sence...maybee they release a fairmone that calms them before spawning so they dont shred each other

If you check this OPEFE linc halfway down it explains...

What Is The Reason Rhoms Can't Be Bred In Captivity???
    Hank Scorpion
    Hank Scorpion

Male Number of posts : 24
    Humor : Yep
    Registration date : 2009-06-02

Why has no one bred the Black Rhom Yet??? Empty Re: Why has no one bred the Black Rhom Yet???

Post by Hank Scorpion Tue 02 Jun 2009, 22:52

so rhombeus type piranha you can not breed at home?

i know reds are everywhere king
    Cam
    Cam
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Male Number of posts : 633
    Birthday : 1979-09-09
    Humor : Usually:),..
    Registration date : 2009-03-07

Why has no one bred the Black Rhom Yet??? Empty Re: Why has no one bred the Black Rhom Yet???

Post by Cam Thu 21 Jan 2010, 22:00

Read this article and others quoting it and had to email the author
    in regards to successful breeding of S.Rhombeus in captivity,..the
    author is credited to 20yrs aquatic experience,..i will post the
    email when replied,..very interesting,..have read another article
    with a brief reference to 2 successful accounts of breeding S.Rhombeus
    in captivity,..very interested to hear if this author has a link
    to share with more detail or better yet a personal account,..

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/breeding/Berg_Breeding_Piranhas.html
    Article stating successful breeding of S.Rhombeus twice,..
    http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Serrasalmus_rhombeus.php
    Metal Maniac
    Metal Maniac

Post by Metal Maniac Sat 23 Jan 2010, 04:09

Cam wrote:Read this article and others quoting it and had to email the author

It scares me thinkin 5-6 full grown Rhoms in a 100 gal
    Insanity
    Insanity
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Male Number of posts : 209
    Birthday : 1981-03-21
    Humor : You!
    Registration date : 2009-06-23

Post by Insanity Sat 23 Jan 2010, 10:39

Wonder how many Rohms He went through to figure this article out?? I have my 125 gal divided and there isn't a day that goes by where they don't try to kill each other!
    jp80911
    jp80911
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Male Number of posts : 75
    Birthday : 1980-09-11
    Humor : what is that??
    Registration date : 2009-03-10

Post by jp80911 Sat 23 Jan 2010, 11:11

Cam wrote:Read this article and others quoting it and had to email the author

I don't believe that you can breed rhombeus in 100g tank. unless you already have a breeding pair paired up and just move them to a 100g tank for nesting purpose.
    first you'll need enough number of rhombeuse to increase the chance of having enough male and female to form breeding pair(s), second as we all know that rhoms needs to be kept solo in home aquarium unless the tank is big enough for them to each have their own territories without killing each other, which most of us won't be able to provide that amount of space at home dedicated to just a few piranahs. when you put these two reasons together you'll be nearly impossible to breed rhombeus in captivity. even if you do get a pair of male and female together there's no guarantee that they will pair up and breed. The only one case that I can remember was a breeding colony of rhombeus were found in abandoned pond/pool in Florida, if remember correctly it's like over 1000g. I think I read it some where on www.opefe.com

here's the link www.opefe.com/rhombeus.html

"RELEASED AS A NON-NATIVE

S. rhombeus has the dubious distinction (along with Pygocentrus nattereri) of being the only two species of piranha introduced in Unites States waters. In Florida (1977), a breeding population was discovered at an abandoned amusement park (originally misidentified as S. humeralis) in Dade County. They were found in an over 1,000 gallon outdoor pond where they reproduced. Even more interesting, the fish survived during Florida's winter. Preserved specimens from the Miami area were deposited at University of Florida UF 87975, UF 97059 ) and were determined by W. L. Fink University of Michigan [personal communication between Leo Nico Florida DNR and W. L. Fink, Voucher specimens: Florida to be S. rhombeus and not S. humeralis."

besides, even you do have a tank/pond big enough you may not want to waste all those cash on buying large size rhoms(so that can be sure they are full matured and ready to breed) and have a great chance that they will kill each other.
    Cam
    Cam
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Cam Wed 27 Jan 2010, 21:05

I agree jp80911,..still waiting on a response from the author,..would like to
    know where this info came from, i'm not dis~crediting either author,..just wanting
    to learn more,..
    Lori
    Reg Member
    Reg Member

Female Number of posts : 39
    Humor : I'm just suppose to put something funny in here
    Registration date : 2009-12-20

Post by Lori Fri 29 Jan 2010, 03:30

All the info is soooo interesting...I think answer to metals question is one......One must have a huge tank(zoo size) in my opinion bc we all know any p's are territorial and depending on what they are how territorial they are.the more room the better. It also mentioned breeding was successful twice but simply put with alot of death in the proccess.I think bc of lack of territory. But also soen in research has been in huge tanks and nothing.Intersting though how humans have studied them for so long and still do not have not nearley all questions answered.Perhaps they are shy! Who knows.That my fellow p lovers is why I love them so and continue to learn. but all this is just my opinion.And also is why I work with animals and not people!
    PiranhaBoss.dk
    PiranhaBoss.dk

Male Number of posts : 3
    Birthday : 1967-03-05
    Humor : Dark
    Registration date : 2009-03-08

Post by PiranhaBoss.dk Fri 29 Jan 2010, 10:19

My way of thinking about this question is that the classification-issues within the rhombeus-complex as whole, may be the actual reason for unsuccessful breading attempts.
    The great morphological variations within the complex may keep the individuals from recognizing each other as these variations may be seen as strange signals for one or both fish in the tank.

Besides, when comparing with the breeding-behavior of S. marginatus, that is ca 22 cm when adult and requires roughly two square meters for personal territory, it easily estimated that an adult S. rhombues may demand at least 5 square meters of it's own to be able to accept con specific individuals around it once it has started nesting, if a 100% certainty of non con specific aggression is the culprit.
    Metal Maniac
    Metal Maniac

Post by Metal Maniac Sat 22 May 2010, 18:16

PiranhaBoss.dk wrote:My way of thinking about this question is that the classification-issues within the rhombeus-complex as whole, may be the actual reason for unsuccessful breading attempts.
    The great morphological variations within the complex may keep the individuals from recognizing each other as these variations may be seen as strange signals for one or both fish in the tank.

Besides, when comparing with the breeding-behavior of S. marginatus, that is ca 22 cm when adult and requires roughly two square meters for personal territory, it easily estimated that an adult S. rhombues may demand at least 5 square meters of it's own to be able to accept con specific individuals around it once it has started nesting, if a 100% certainty of non con specific aggression is the culprit.

Thanxs for all this great info PiranhaBoss.dk Why has no one bred the Black Rhom Yet??? 63052 Why has no one bred the Black Rhom Yet??? 63052 Why has no one bred the Black Rhom Yet??? 63052
    Cam
    Cam
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Cam Mon 24 May 2010, 00:05

PiranhaBoss.dk wrote:My way of thinking about this question is that the classification-issues within the rhombeus-complex as whole, may be the actual reason for unsuccessful breading attempts.

Thats a good point PiranhaBoss,.."morphological variations" allways enjoy reading
    your posts
    Cam
    Cam
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Cam Mon 24 May 2010, 00:07

Still no reply to my emails and i figured as much,..too bad,..was hoping
    to hear something back.
    Metal Maniac
    Metal Maniac

Post by Metal Maniac Sat 29 May 2010, 03:21

Cam wrote:Still no reply to my emails and i figured as much,..too bad,..was hoping
    to hear something back.

Man..that's too Bad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 14:29