Aggressive Predators United

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Aggressive Predators United

Aggressive Predators United Fish Forum - The Fastest Growing and Most Viewed Freshwater Online Community Dedicated to Rare, Exotic and Predatory Fish.

Ok APU,Time too send in your pics for the next POTM contest... Please email me at metal.maniac@live.com or please PM myself ...Depending on how many pics we get and the variety of species we will have several categories...Only 1 pic per member per species so you can send in 1 fish 1 cat 1 lizard just not 2 fish 2 cat...you get the idea!!...So send em in and lets make this a BIG ONE!!!... Cheers!!!...Metal Maniac and the APU Staff
APU is on Aquarium Directory- AquariumLinks.net!!!...check it out!!!
Please Vote For Us On AquaRank!!!

Affiliates

Cichlid Forum

Herp Center Network

Monster Fishkeepers

Aqua Adverts

APU Ads

Google

BETTAWAN

Dried Indian Almond Leaves

5 posters

Little help need APU.

burgh
    burgh
    General Fish Moderator
    General Fish Moderator

Male Number of posts : 352
    Birthday : 1974-06-29
    Humor : ...
    Registration date : 2009-03-07

Little help need APU. Empty Little help need APU.

Post by burgh Tue 26 Jan 2010, 15:22

Well my little girl keeps asking me if she can have a snake or lizard.
    After searching the net a little bit I think I narrowed it down to 2 different ones.

Bearded lizard -- will probably go to one of the reptile shows if we decided on this one.

or

ARGENTINE BLACK & WHITES Tegu --- will look for a breeder. This route will cost more due to shipping and breeder fees ect, but it will ensure
    that the Tegu is captive breed and NOT wild caught. I was checking out this site http://www.varnyard-herps-inc.com/

Its been many years since I have had anything other than fish and dogs. Well any advice would be great !! Size isn't a problem, I have enough empty aquariums that I can house a young reptile in till spring and will probably build two larger enclosures in the spring. 1 for inside and 1 for outside. Also, any others that would be a good choose pleases let me know.

Thanks,

Burgh
    Cam
    Cam
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Male Number of posts : 633
    Birthday : 1979-09-09
    Humor : Usually:),..

Little help need APU. Empty Re: Little help need APU.

Post by Cam Tue 26 Jan 2010, 19:38

I think i would lean towards the Lizard, something about snakes makes
    me want to get a shovel,..
    Insanity
    Insanity
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Male Number of posts : 209
    Birthday : 1981-03-21
    Humor : You!
    Registration date : 2009-06-23

Post by Insanity Tue 26 Jan 2010, 20:05

I would go for a Lizard! Snakes you never know if your going to get tagged.
    burgh
    burgh
    General Fish Moderator
    General Fish Moderator

Post by burgh Tue 26 Jan 2010, 21:50

Thank you both. Yea the snake idea I shot down right after she asked. Snake are beautiful animals, but look better when someone else owns them. Little help need APU. 63052

I am leaning toward the bearded dragon. Tegu I think is going to need way more space than I want to give in the gameroom.
    I have read that you can keep them in a 8'x4'x4', but should give them more and do better outdoors. The outdoor enclosure wouldn't be a problem, but
    two huge enclosures is alot.
    Insanity
    Insanity
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Male Number of posts : 209
    Birthday : 1981-03-21
    Humor : You!
    Registration date : 2009-06-23

Post by Insanity Tue 26 Jan 2010, 23:20

Bearded Dragons are easy to take care of and kids will like them! You can start them in a smaller tank first and work up. Easy to breed too
    cichlidlover27
    cichlidlover27
    Forum Moderation Team
    Forum Moderation Team

Male Number of posts : 477
    Birthday : 1981-01-07
    Humor : really funny

Post by cichlidlover27 Wed 27 Jan 2010, 06:00

ya I think I would pass on a snake if it were me I would go with a leopard gecko they can be picked up around 35-40 bucks each they are real easy to care for and most are usually friendly atleast mine are. plus if in the right invironment they have been know to live up to 27 years!!! so lol thats quite some time.

a bearded dragon is another great pet I dont own one but was considering picking one up there really cool also. requires lots of heat I think around the 100 degree basking temps and uvb is needed but in the long haul if you were up to something like this then that would be great. I think the livespan is around 12 years for one of the dragons which is a long time also.
    burgh
    burgh
    General Fish Moderator
    General Fish Moderator

Post by burgh Thu 28 Jan 2010, 11:29

Cichlidlover27 or any other member that has one.

How or when do you really get to see or enjoy your Geckos? From what I have read they are nocturnal animals, and it would be hard to really see them up and about during the day.

Cichlidlover, your pretty close to me so I am guessing the prices would be almost the same. How is it a reptile shows? I never went to one, but plan on taking my little girl to one Feb. 7th. Should I leave my wallet at home and only take what I want to spend. :) So I don't come home with a mini zoo.

Thanks everyone,

Burgh
    burgh
    burgh
    General Fish Moderator
    General Fish Moderator

Post by burgh Sat 30 Jan 2010, 00:28

Well the project is under way. I ordered all the equipment I should need and should be here by the middle of next week.

Setup list:

40 gallon breeder -- (have)
    Light strip -- (have)
    Still need to decide on a heating/basking bulb.
    ordered below from https://www.petmountain.com
    1. Zoo Med Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter: Habitat: 100 Watt Heater
    Unit Price: $19.90

2. Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Bulb: : 24 inch - (18 Watt - T8)
    Sku: ZM34324
    Unit Price: $19.52
    Quantity: 2
    Price: $39.04 + $1.90 (Additional Charges)

3. AVS Books The Bearded Dragon Manual: : Bearded Dragons Book
    Unit Price: $11.50

4. Zoo Med Repti Hammock: : Large - 17.5 inch x 12 inch
    Unit Price: $6.26

5. Lixit Hand Feeding Syringe: : 35 cc
    Unit Price: $3.25

6. Zoo Med Deep Dome Lamp Fixture: : Repti Deep Dome Lamp
    Unit Price: $16.44
    Quantity: 2
    Price: $32.88

7. Zilla Terrarium Hygrometer Thermometer: : Hygrometer Thermometer
    Price: $19.94

8. Rep Cal Ultrafine Powder Calcium with Vitamin D3: Feeding Accessories: Ultrafine Powder Calcium with Vitamin D3
    Price: $5.20

9. Zoo Med ReptiTemp 500R Remote Sensor Thermometer: : ReptiTemp 500R Remote Sensor Thermometer
    Price: $24.03

10. Zoo Med Feeding Tongs Stainless Steel - 10 inch: : Feeding Tongs Stainless Steel - 10 inch
    Unit Price: $5.45

Free shipping for orders over $150.00
    and $16.94 discount for order over $75.00
    Grand total $152.42 cheers

Plan on going to Pittsburgh reptile show Feb 7th to get a Bearded Dragon.
    http://www.pghreptileshow.com/
    cichlidlover27
    cichlidlover27
    Forum Moderation Team
    Forum Moderation Team

Post by cichlidlover27 Thu 04 Feb 2010, 07:46

burgh wrote:Cichlidlover27 or any other member that has one.

How or when do you really get to see or enjoy your Geckos? From what I have read they are nocturnal animals, and it would be hard to really see them up and about during the day.

Cichlidlover, your pretty close to me so I am guessing the prices would be almost the same. How is it a reptile shows? I never went to one, but plan on taking my little girl to one Feb. 7th. Should I leave my wallet at home and only take what I want to spend. :) So I don't come home with a mini zoo.

Thanks everyone,

Burgh

burgh, very true leopard geckos do have that down side about them of being nocturnal but in all honesty I think there awesome little creatures. I see mine come out a good bit in the day but if you really want to watch them set your terrarium up using a moon glo or a red infrared bulb and set and watch them at night. myself I prefer the red over the blue.

yeah pricing should be in the same range about like it is here usually you can get a nice gecko from a good petshop for around 35 dollars which isnt bad. and lol ya leave the wallet behind cause if your anything like me you will be wanting to have all the nice hides,rock backgrounds, plants etc lol.

as far as reptile shows I have never been to one in my life but would love to get into them from what I hear they are a blast! any questions you may have feal free to ask if you would like and oh im sorry about not replying sooner I totally missed this thread.

also one last thing check out my newest baby leopard gecko if you want. I am going to get ready and post a couple pics of him or her right now.
    burgh
    burgh
    General Fish Moderator
    General Fish Moderator

Post by burgh Thu 18 Feb 2010, 20:54

Thanks for all the info Cichlidlover.

I didn't make it to the Feb show due to all the snow pittsburgh got hit with.
    But, everything happens for a reason right? Since we didn't make the show I decided to do more research and than took your advice and started looking into the Geckos. Sure enough after reading your post and reading online the Gecko is by far easier to take care of compared to the BD. So after showing my little girl she niow wants a crested gecko. I bought her a Exo-Terra complete setup, 12x12x18 plus the stuff I already ordered.

What kind of enclosure do you keep your in? I have read glass and screen are both good. I might think about breeding them once I some experience. :)
    cichlidlover27
    cichlidlover27
    Forum Moderation Team
    Forum Moderation Team

Post by cichlidlover27 Sat 20 Feb 2010, 01:57

burgh,

first off that is awesome on wanted to get her the crested gecko as they are really cool geckos also. I have heard lots of people talk about how peaceful and calm there cresties are. I actually was going to order one in for myself but decided I have enough for right now.

that exo terra should make a very awesome crested gecko enclosure. I just picked up my second exo terra for my leopard gecko even though the exo terras do favor geckos like cresteds and tokays and things. lots of people on the forums say the exo terras are not the best for leopard geckos because a leopard will benefit with more floor space and the height of the terrarium is useless so I do pretty much agree with that but as nice as the exo terras are I had to get myself two of the 18x18x18 exo terra setups for my leopards. so I believe your gonna love the exo terra setup for your crested.

I also use aquariums for my leos right now I am in the process of putting together a 55 to house multiple females (pending they get along) and also I have a 29 gallon leo setup which only houses my 99 gram male all to himself. I could of saved myself a lot of money by just using cheap dollar store hides and stuff but for me I am also very picky on apperance so pretty much I want to have all exo terra 3 d walls on my setups including all tile flooring and exo terra hides,water dishes etc.

anyways nice pickup it sounds like your daughter will have a great pet for many many years with the crested gecko!!!
    burgh
    burgh
    General Fish Moderator
    General Fish Moderator

Post by burgh Sat 20 Feb 2010, 02:30

CL27,

A thanks again !! Have you ever looked at this place?
    http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/index.php?target=categories&category_id=180

I am thinking about grabbing a few of theses. Zilla Fresh Air Acrylic Atrium
    don't seem bad for 39.99
    cichlidlover27
    cichlidlover27
    Forum Moderation Team
    Forum Moderation Team

Post by cichlidlover27 Sun 21 Feb 2010, 21:35

wow man thats a great buy yeah thats not bad at all for them. I wouldnt mind getting one myself if I pick up a crested.
    Metal Maniac
    Metal Maniac
    Administrator-Founder-Owner
    Administrator-Founder-Owner

Male Number of posts : 2242
    Birthday : 1970-11-17
    Humor : Raunchie!!!
    Registration date : 2009-03-05

Post by Metal Maniac Sat 22 May 2010, 18:04

I think snake is always the way to go ...hehehehehe Little help need APU. 806809 Little help need APU. 583863 Little help need APU. 806809 Little help need APU. 583863 Little help need APU. 806809 Little help need APU. 583863

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 12:26