Aggressive Predators United

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Aggressive Predators United

Aggressive Predators United Fish Forum - The Fastest Growing and Most Viewed Freshwater Online Community Dedicated to Rare, Exotic and Predatory Fish.

Ok APU,Time too send in your pics for the next POTM contest... Please email me at metal.maniac@live.com or please PM myself ...Depending on how many pics we get and the variety of species we will have several categories...Only 1 pic per member per species so you can send in 1 fish 1 cat 1 lizard just not 2 fish 2 cat...you get the idea!!...So send em in and lets make this a BIG ONE!!!... Cheers!!!...Metal Maniac and the APU Staff
APU is on Aquarium Directory- AquariumLinks.net!!!...check it out!!!
Please Vote For Us On AquaRank!!!

Affiliates

Cichlid Forum

Herp Center Network

Monster Fishkeepers

Aqua Adverts

APU Ads

Google

BETTAWAN

Dried Indian Almond Leaves

2 posters

Tiger Salamanders In Captivity-CareSheet

Metal Maniac
    Metal Maniac
    Administrator-Founder-Owner

Male Number of posts : 2242
    Birthday : 1970-11-17
    Humor : Raunchie!!!
    Registration date : 2009-03-05

Tiger Salamanders In Captivity-CareSheet Empty Tiger Salamanders In Captivity-CareSheet

Post by Metal Maniac Fri 03 Apr 2009, 13:12

Tiger Salamanders In Captivity-CareSheet

Tiger salamanders are one of the most low matenence and rewarding animals to keep in captivity. They can live for years, are very easy to feed and don't require much of terrarium. A 10 or 15 gallon aquarium tank could house one or two adults. I keep my tiger salamander on cypress mulch because it is easy to change the cage and keeps humidity in. Potting soil or peat are also good substrates. If you use potting soil make sure that all the vermiculite is out. These two substrates work good and keep humidity in but they are harder to change and having to have to change the cage every month or so I like bark chippings better. Another substrate that is commonly available is your average type gravel for aquariums. This substrate can be used and I have used it in the past with many of my frogs but this is not a good substrate for housing tiger salamanders in. Most tiger salamanders like to burrow and gravel surrtenly doesn't let them do that. Gravel also doesn't keep humididty. In the terrarium along with a substrate you are going to need natural decor and a water dish. I like using those little plastic dishes which you put under plants to collect the extra water in for my water dish. Anything would work fine as long as it is not over an inch or two deep. In my oppinion you don't need to change thee water all that often, mabey once a week or so. Saometimes I don't even get around to it until it is cleaning time for me. The next thkings to put in your terrarium are drift wood and cork bark. These provide hiding places for your animals. Heating and lighting are not necessary, and if you live down south you might even want a cooling system. I keep the tempeture in my cage between 68 F and 75 F and my tiger salamander is doing quite fine. Lighting is also not necessary because tiger salamanders are part of the mole salamander family which like to burrow. Tiger salamanders are one of the most easiest species of amphibian to feed. I feed mmine about 15 crickets ever week or two. Some people like using earthworms and niightcrawleres instead of crickets but they aren't as nutritious for them do I only use them occationly. By following this care your tiger salamander should have a happy and long lived life.
    frogstomper1
    frogstomper1

Female Number of posts : 21
    Birthday : 1980-07-12
    Humor : Loving Metal Maniac
    Registration date : 2009-06-03

Tiger Salamanders In Captivity-CareSheet Empty Re: Tiger Salamanders In Captivity-CareSheet

Post by frogstomper1 Wed 03 Jun 2009, 17:09

good info,very percise flower
    Metal Maniac
    Metal Maniac

Male Number of posts : 2242
    Birthday : 1970-11-17
    Humor : Raunchie!!!
    Registration date : 2009-03-05

Tiger Salamanders In Captivity-CareSheet Empty Re: Tiger Salamanders In Captivity-CareSheet

Post by Metal Maniac Fri 15 Jul 2011, 03:26

Anyone keep these beauties???

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 03:02