Aggressive Predators United

Aggressive Predators United Fish Forum - The Fastest Growing and Most Viewed Freshwater Online Community Dedicated to Rare, Exotic and Predatory Fish.

Ok APU,Time too send in your pics for the next POTM contest... Please email me at metal.maniac@live.com or please PM myself ...Depending on how many pics we get and the variety of species we will have several categories...Only 1 pic per member per species so you can send in 1 fish 1 cat 1 lizard just not 2 fish 2 cat...you get the idea!!...So send em in and lets make this a BIG ONE!!!... Cheers!!!...Metal Maniac and the APU Staff
APU is on Aquarium Directory- AquariumLinks.net!!!...check it out!!!
Please Vote For Us On AquaRank!!!

Affiliates

Cichlid Forum

Herp Center Network

Monster Fishkeepers

Aqua Adverts

APU Ads

Google

BETTAWAN

Dried Indian Almond Leaves

Parasites and Diseases of Piranhas and associated forms

Metal Maniac
    Metal Maniac
    Administrator-Founder-Owner
    Administrator-Founder-Owner

Male Number of posts : 2242
    Birthday : 1970-11-17
    Humor : Raunchie!!!
    Registration date : 2009-03-05

Parasites and Diseases of Piranhas and associated forms Empty Parasites and Diseases of Piranhas and associated forms

Post by Metal Maniac on Tue 14 Apr 2009, 22:58

COPYright of OPEFE

Parasites and Diseases of Piranhas and associated forms

Generally as a rule, I don't recommend people to treat their fishes with medications. Reason being, the average person doesn't know what actual problem the fish is suffering. Many hosts and diseases take on a multitude of similar appearances. The only way to determine what your fish is actually suffering with is through a professional, specialized laboratory techniques, such as through a veterinary clinic. Fortunately, few diseases transfect the majority of piranha species. Most can be easily handled with medications. The best prevention against problems we are about to discuss is learn as much about your piranha as possible before you buy them. Knowing your fish before buying them helps in determining the healthiest ones to pick for your home aquarium. If you intend to put your new purchase with an already established group, then you should quarantine your new arrival for a period of approximately 2 to 3 weeks. This will give the fish time to calm down and you can then observe any potential problems or physical defects. You also want to practice good care (husbandry) while this fish is in isolation by providing good water quality. Poor water quality can give false readings that the fish might be suffering a disease or parasite problem. I have personally encountered this in my own home aquariums. The fish would get some slimy growth on the fins and appear listless. Once the water was changed and good maintenance, the fish normally would recover and look fit.
    The other thing to consider is, piranhas (Serrasalminae in general) and small scaled fishes are sensitive to chemicals such as medications. Aquarists should carefully read the label of any medication they may want to use for warnings. Some chemicals like Dylox are considered harmful to piranhas. In the early stages of my hobby in keeping piranhas I lost many due to the use of Malachite green. This formulation should be used in low doses or half the recommended dose.
    Anytime you see one fish in your piranha group look sick, its a sure bet the majority will also come down with the problem especially if it is contagious agent. In this case, treatment should begin immediately. Otherwise, separate the infected fish and treat it appropriately in a hospital tank. The hospital tank should be bare with just an object placed inside to allow the fish to hide behind or in. Low light should be used (keep it off is suggested). Filtration can either be a sponge filter or outside filter. Do not use carbon or any water conditioner during the medical treatment. Carbon will remove the medication from the water. Once you are satisfied the fish has recovered sufficiently, then you can add carbon to remove remaining medicine.
    If your piranha is wounded from a bite or from running into objects, they have amazing regenerative powers. Oftentimes, its best not to treat, however, because they are piranhas, you may want to separate the mutiliated fish, especially if it is a flesh wound. If blood and juices are in the water, very likely this injured fish will be eaten by the majority. According to biologist David M. Schleser, he recommends treatment with a broad spectrum antibiotic for infection prevention. According to Dave, a commercially available product containing nitrofurans can be safely used, but follow the manufacturers directions. Some products having a mix of nitrofurazone and furazolidone are particularly effective. The medicines are non-toxic to piranhas and the biggest plus of all it doesn't effect your biologic filtration.
    Over the years (and most recently), I've read topics of how fat-looking certain caribe or piranha look. The aquarist often remarks how often the fish is attacked in the belly region by other piranhas. Often exposing eggs, sometimes not. This has led some people to believe a nice fat piranha is probably a pregnant piranha (piranhas are egg-layers and do not get pregnant!). The photos above demonstrate a fat piranha. The hobbyist believed it was probably female. The photo is a plump male cariba.
    In the photos, is a diseased cariba, probably infected with Edwardsiella sp. or a related organism that is found on catfishes and in particular gold fishes. If you feed gold fishes (Carassius sp.) you will likely encounter problems like this which are transfected to your pet fishes. Overcrowding fishes and poor water quality will also cause the invader to spread. These are gram-negative problems best treated orally. With a piranha that is not a safe thing to do. I'm hoping the hobbyist, will take to heart my warnings about feeding live fishes to your piranha, in particular gold fishes, minnows or any such critter to your piranhas. Internal lesions can be seen on the organs as well.

Parasites and Diseases of Piranhas and associated forms Parasi10

http://www.opefe.com/

Parasites and Diseases of Piranhas and associated forms 1893667bd2edba6m3

Parasites and Diseases of Piranhas and associated forms New_un11

Current date/time is Fri 13 Dec 2019, 07:45