Aggressive Predators United

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Aggressive Predators United

Aggressive Predators United Fish Forum - The Fastest Growing and Most Viewed Freshwater Online Community Dedicated to Rare, Exotic and Predatory Fish.

Ok APU,Time too send in your pics for the next POTM contest... Please email me at metal.maniac@live.com or please PM myself ...Depending on how many pics we get and the variety of species we will have several categories...Only 1 pic per member per species so you can send in 1 fish 1 cat 1 lizard just not 2 fish 2 cat...you get the idea!!...So send em in and lets make this a BIG ONE!!!... Cheers!!!...Metal Maniac and the APU Staff
APU is on Aquarium Directory- AquariumLinks.net!!!...check it out!!!
Please Vote For Us On AquaRank!!!

Affiliates

Cichlid Forum

Herp Center Network

Monster Fishkeepers

Aqua Adverts

APU Ads

Google

BETTAWAN

Dried Indian Almond Leaves

3 posters

UV Filters

Insanity
    Insanity
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Male Number of posts : 209
    Birthday : 1981-03-21
    Humor : You!
    Registration date : 2009-06-23

UV Filters Empty UV Filters

Post by Insanity Sat 04 Jul 2009, 22:50

Whats the Best UV filter you can get? Do they work good?
    cichlidlover27
    cichlidlover27
    Forum Moderation Team
    Forum Moderation Team

Male Number of posts : 477
    Birthday : 1981-01-07
    Humor : really funny
    Registration date : 2009-03-07

UV Filters Empty Re: UV Filters

Post by cichlidlover27 Sun 05 Jul 2009, 02:52

uv sterilizer? if thats what you mean I am not sure what the best one is but I have a 18 watt coralife uv sterilizer and all I can say is there amazing. I was skeptical of them until I purchased mine and my dad called me one day said the oscar tanks green. he has the tank close to a window. Anyhow I went up hooked up the uv sterilizer and with in a short period of time that tank was so clear and I mean crystal clear. I would highly recommend a uv sterilizer because to me they are worth there weight in gold!
    burgh
    burgh
    General Fish Moderator
    General Fish Moderator

Male Number of posts : 352
    Birthday : 1974-06-29
    Humor : ...

Post by burgh Sun 05 Jul 2009, 12:46

Like above they are good to have around, but you don't want to run them full time on fresh setups. I think they work a lot more on saltwater. (If) I remember correctly if ran full time they can kill off to much bacteria in a F.W. tank. Not 100% sure since its been awhile since I read up on them on F.W. I'm sure there's someone else here thou that could tell you. A Cichlidlover27 do you run your full time or just when needed?

Also best if your water pass thou them slow. As for best brand its all in the user, to each there own. You have to look at watts, bulb replacement, how hard it is to get parts if needed, ect.
    cichlidlover27
    cichlidlover27
    Forum Moderation Team
    Forum Moderation Team

Male Number of posts : 477
    Birthday : 1981-01-07
    Humor : really funny

Post by cichlidlover27 Mon 06 Jul 2009, 02:29

burgh wrote:Like above they are good to have around, but you don't want to run them full time on fresh setups. I think they work a lot more on saltwater. (If) I remember correctly if ran full time they can kill off to much bacteria in a F.W. tank. Not 100% sure since its been awhile since I read up on them on F.W. I'm sure there's someone else here thou that could tell you. A Cichlidlover27 do you run your full time or just when needed?

Also best if your water pass thou them slow. As for best brand its all in the user, to each there own. You have to look at watts, bulb replacement, how hard it is to get parts if needed, ect.

hi, yeah I only used mine when it was needed on my freshwater setup. I used it a lot on my salt setup when I had it. I agree you should look into one you can pick up parts and stuff for pretty easy.
    Insanity
    Insanity
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Male Number of posts : 209
    Birthday : 1981-03-21
    Humor : You!
    Registration date : 2009-06-23

Post by Insanity Mon 06 Jul 2009, 09:32

Does the UV sterilizer kill off the good bacteria aswell? and it will help with diseases?
    burgh
    burgh
    General Fish Moderator
    General Fish Moderator

Male Number of posts : 352
    Birthday : 1974-06-29
    Humor : ...

Post by burgh Mon 06 Jul 2009, 10:30

As far a setting up and all I would leave this to cichlidlover27 or one of the other members that use them. Its been a few years since I used one. But, to answer your question: In a saltwater tank it helps kill diseases I'm 80% sure in freshwater along with algae blooms, but its not the soul cure for white spots/ich. Along with killing bad stuff if ran all the time it can kill off some of the good bacteria you want in your tank.

If your looking to pick one up, I would checkout Reef Centrals used section or any other saltwater site that has used stuff for sale. Not sure if your into S.W. but there's always someone getting out of the hobby and you can get some great prices on used stuff. (BUT) make sure you research the model and brand.

Here's a pretty good article I found. I had a link that went into more detail, if I find it I will post it.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=16+2148&aid=2855

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 10:43