Aggressive Predators United

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Aggressive Predators United

Aggressive Predators United Fish Forum - The Fastest Growing and Most Viewed Freshwater Online Community Dedicated to Rare, Exotic and Predatory Fish.

Ok APU,Time too send in your pics for the next POTM contest... Please email me at metal.maniac@live.com or please PM myself ...Depending on how many pics we get and the variety of species we will have several categories...Only 1 pic per member per species so you can send in 1 fish 1 cat 1 lizard just not 2 fish 2 cat...you get the idea!!...So send em in and lets make this a BIG ONE!!!... Cheers!!!...Metal Maniac and the APU Staff
APU is on Aquarium Directory- AquariumLinks.net!!!...check it out!!!
Please Vote For Us On AquaRank!!!

Affiliates

Cichlid Forum

Herp Center Network

Monster Fishkeepers

Aqua Adverts

APU Ads

Google

BETTAWAN

Dried Indian Almond Leaves

+2
cichlidlover27
crabby-girl
6 posters

Scavengers--good or bad??? Whats your thoughts???

crabby-girl
    crabby-girl
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Female Number of posts : 242
    Birthday : 1981-05-28
    Humor : Cats LOVE the fish:]
    Registration date : 2009-03-10

Scavengers--good or bad???  Whats your thoughts??? Empty Scavengers--good or bad??? Whats your thoughts???

Post by crabby-girl Tue 10 Mar 2009, 20:01

There's alot of controversy going around about scavengers such as loaches, the many different plecos out there to choose from, and other bottom eaters. Many peeps say that they just help make your water conditions not so good, but I highly disagree with that. I have quite a few scavengers and I love them. They do a great job with cleaning (saves me the work)LOL Me and a fellow member had debate about this.(u know who u r) I'd like to hear other opinions on this subject. By the way my water conditions r great. PH needs to be a little higher but letting it try to fix itself. Any opinions welcome Idea
    cichlidlover27
    cichlidlover27
    Forum Moderation Team
    Forum Moderation Team

Male Number of posts : 477
    Birthday : 1981-01-07
    Humor : really funny
    Registration date : 2009-03-07

Scavengers--good or bad???  Whats your thoughts??? Empty Re: Scavengers--good or bad??? Whats your thoughts???

Post by cichlidlover27 Tue 10 Mar 2009, 21:17

Pleco's are nitrate factories. No question about it. No room for argument. It is what it is.

There are some smaller species that don't create as much waste, but the majority of them do.
    Cam
    Cam
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Male Number of posts : 633
    Birthday : 1979-09-09
    Humor : Usually:),..

Scavengers--good or bad???  Whats your thoughts??? Empty Re: Scavengers--good or bad??? Whats your thoughts???

Post by Cam Tue 10 Mar 2009, 23:30

Agree w/ Shaun,..after losing my largest pleco (he was 18''s)
    my params in that tank are so much easier to keep in check,..
    i still use loaches/corys for cleanup,..there really isn't
    a need,..i just like em',..

Fishing for sh*t thats a foot long is not something i miss,..
    crabby-girl
    crabby-girl
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Female Number of posts : 242
    Birthday : 1981-05-28
    Humor : Cats LOVE the fish:]
    Registration date : 2009-03-10

Scavengers--good or bad???  Whats your thoughts??? Empty large pleco---cam

Post by crabby-girl Tue 10 Mar 2009, 23:42

well I do agree with u about the larger ones they do produce too much waste. I'm talking about cory's, loaches, and smaller plecos such as the stingray, and butterflies. Chinese algae eaters also do a great job--I just trade them in when they get too big. I even got Shaun hooked on snails. tongue Which I think are great for aquariums. In moderation that is.
    cichlidlover27
    cichlidlover27
    Forum Moderation Team
    Forum Moderation Team

Male Number of posts : 477
    Birthday : 1981-01-07
    Humor : really funny

Post by cichlidlover27 Tue 10 Mar 2009, 23:46

crabby-girl wrote:well I do agree with u about the larger ones they do produce too much waste. I'm talking about cory's, loaches, and smaller plecos such as the stingray, and butterflies. Chinese algae eaters also do a great job--I just trade them in when they get too big. I even got Shaun hooked on snails. tongue Which I think are great for aquariums. In moderation that is.

Ya, I do like the snails they are neat to have in a tank. I dont see much that they are doing though in my tanks as far as consuming algae but still yet there nice to have around. :D
    Metal Maniac
    Metal Maniac
    Administrator-Founder-Owner

Male Number of posts : 2242
    Birthday : 1970-11-17
    Humor : Raunchie!!!
    Registration date : 2009-03-05

Post by Metal Maniac Mon 06 Apr 2009, 15:18

All of my Tanks are full of snails and all my tanks that don't have Piranha have snails and pleco's and i see them do nothing but exist!

But i love to watch them!!!! Scavengers--good or bad???  Whats your thoughts??? 315146 Scavengers--good or bad???  Whats your thoughts??? 315146 Scavengers--good or bad???  Whats your thoughts??? 315146
    bigcol
    bigcol

Male Number of posts : 9
    Birthday : 1977-06-23
    Humor : love it or hate it i dont mind coz u dont matter ;)
    Registration date : 2009-11-07

Post by bigcol Mon 09 Nov 2009, 03:37

I have a 1ft common pleco and the waste he produces is no ones business sometimes i feel like grabbing him to give him a shake whilst saying stop bloody shitting so much (mind the french) but u get what i mean Wink

I also have a few botias in another tank and they are great scavengers, i love to watch them hunt around the gravel for the scraps left by the other fish, i call them my clean up crew :D
    Metal Maniac
    Metal Maniac

Male Number of posts : 2242
    Birthday : 1970-11-17
    Humor : Raunchie!!!
    Registration date : 2009-03-05

Post by Metal Maniac Sat 09 Jan 2010, 14:55

What Pleco produces the least Waste...does anyone know???

I heard Gold Nugget
    SusanFish
    SusanFish

Female Number of posts : 1
    Humor : ?
    Registration date : 2011-03-03

Post by SusanFish Thu 03 Mar 2011, 16:49

When we had small plecos, they eat the algae, but nothing more. Just eating he food, other fish did not eat.
    In 100 gallon tank we have plecos, botias, corydoras and some snails, which were not eaten by somebody (?) and nobody is helping with cleaning the tank (even not me, we have a quite good external filter and plants and the water parameters are much, much better than when we had smaller tank and were cleaning it)
    By the way, by cleaning you mean eating excrements? Because I never heard about anything that would feed on excrements, except of insects. The only thing I would imagine under cleaning is when the fish waves the excrements into the filter with its tail...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 16:57