Aggressive Predators United

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Aggressive Predators United

Aggressive Predators United Fish Forum - The Fastest Growing and Most Viewed Freshwater Online Community Dedicated to Rare, Exotic and Predatory Fish.

Ok APU,Time too send in your pics for the next POTM contest... Please email me at metal.maniac@live.com or please PM myself ...Depending on how many pics we get and the variety of species we will have several categories...Only 1 pic per member per species so you can send in 1 fish 1 cat 1 lizard just not 2 fish 2 cat...you get the idea!!...So send em in and lets make this a BIG ONE!!!... Cheers!!!...Metal Maniac and the APU Staff
APU is on Aquarium Directory- AquariumLinks.net!!!...check it out!!!
Please Vote For Us On AquaRank!!!

Affiliates

Cichlid Forum

Herp Center Network

Monster Fishkeepers

Aqua Adverts

APU Ads

Google

BETTAWAN

Dried Indian Almond Leaves

2 posters

quick guide on how to build a sump

burgh
    burgh
    General Fish Moderator
    General Fish Moderator

Male Number of posts : 352
    Birthday : 1974-06-29
    Humor : ...
    Registration date : 2009-03-07

quick guide on how to build a sump Empty quick guide on how to build a sump

Post by burgh Mon 07 Sep 2009, 22:13

This is a quick over view on how to build a sump. I already cut out all my pieces.
    Your sump will be set up for your needs so no two sumps are the same.

Here's a pic of the sump: I used a little over 1 .220 thick acrylic sheet 18x24 and a 10 gallon tank with black trim removed from the top. (Trim removed till completed.)

10 gallon with all the chambers dry fit with tape to hold them in place.

quick guide on how to build a sump DSC_0086

from above: In this pic you can see all the chambers. Starting from left to right
    1st return pump chamber.

2nd two 1" mini chambers that work as bubble traps. Break up air bubbles before reaching R. pump.

3rd this chamber can be used as a mini refug for macro algae, sand, or LR. It also can be used for your heater, etc.

4th chamber I divided into two parts: Smaller section is the intake box that will be filled with ruble and the water inlet. The larger section is where my skimmer will sit.

quick guide on how to build a sump DSC_0088-1

Here's a shot of the baffle and intake box. If you notice I have a piece of eggcrate below the black painted side. The side of the intake box will sit on this and allow the water to fill the skimmer section from the bottom rather than filling the box and flowing over. This will force the water to travel through the LR ruble and act like a pre filter.

quick guide on how to build a sump DSC_0090-1

Here's a pic of the baffle and the middle one will rest on eggcrate also.

quick guide on how to build a sump DSC_0091

These are my cheater sides. I cut a grove in the center of each (black marker lines), this will make it alot easier to glue the three together without and not have big blobs of silicon between each baffle.

quick guide on how to build a sump DSC_0092

quick guide on how to build a sump DSC_0093

Pic's of the three baffles taped together for a better idea of how they go together. After glued I can slide all three in place and only silicon the outside.

quick guide on how to build a sump DSC_0094

quick guide on how to build a sump DSC_0095-1

quick guide on how to build a sump DSC_0096

Two views of the skimmer and intake chamber.

quick guide on how to build a sump DSC_0097-1

quick guide on how to build a sump DSC_0098

Like I said this is a quick overview on how to build a sump. Also, all my parts baffles still have the clear plastic on except the piece sprayed black.

Hope this help and feel free to ask any questions and add info.

Burgh
    Metal Maniac
    Metal Maniac
    Administrator-Founder-Owner

Male Number of posts : 2242
    Birthday : 1970-11-17
    Humor : Raunchie!!!
    Registration date : 2009-03-05

quick guide on how to build a sump Empty Re: quick guide on how to build a sump

Post by Metal Maniac Sat 03 Oct 2009, 16:54

This is AWSOME burgh,

The price for materials will be easy on the pocket and the build seems straight forward..this is a very nice setup indeed! quick guide on how to build a sump 315146

WICKED post!!! quick guide on how to build a sump 63052 quick guide on how to build a sump 63052
    burgh
    burgh
    General Fish Moderator
    General Fish Moderator

Male Number of posts : 352
    Birthday : 1974-06-29
    Humor : ...
    Registration date : 2009-03-07

Post by burgh Sat 03 Oct 2009, 20:23

Thank you much man. Cost can be very low, most people have a spare tank sitting around empty or scratched which is perfect. Other than that you only need 100% silicon and some plexi-glass. In all I think I have 20 bucks into my sump.
    Metal Maniac
    Metal Maniac

Male Number of posts : 2242
    Birthday : 1970-11-17
    Humor : Raunchie!!!
    Registration date : 2009-03-05

Post by Metal Maniac Sun 10 Jan 2010, 03:06

burgh wrote:Thank you much man. Cost can be very low, most people have a spare tank sitting around empty or scratched which is perfect. Other than that you only need 100% silicon and some plexi-glass. In all I think I have 20 bucks into my sump.

Spare Tanks always come in handy!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 18 Apr 2024, 23:58