Aggressive Predators United

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Aggressive Predators United

Aggressive Predators United Fish Forum - The Fastest Growing and Most Viewed Freshwater Online Community Dedicated to Rare, Exotic and Predatory Fish.

Ok APU,Time too send in your pics for the next POTM contest... Please email me at metal.maniac@live.com or please PM myself ...Depending on how many pics we get and the variety of species we will have several categories...Only 1 pic per member per species so you can send in 1 fish 1 cat 1 lizard just not 2 fish 2 cat...you get the idea!!...So send em in and lets make this a BIG ONE!!!... Cheers!!!...Metal Maniac and the APU Staff
APU is on Aquarium Directory- AquariumLinks.net!!!...check it out!!!
Please Vote For Us On AquaRank!!!

Affiliates

Cichlid Forum

Herp Center Network

Monster Fishkeepers

Aqua Adverts

APU Ads

Google

BETTAWAN

Dried Indian Almond Leaves

+4
Cam
cichlidlover27
crabby-girl
pboost
8 posters

Tank SHot of my 100 gallon reef

pboost
    pboost
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Male Number of posts : 124
    Birthday : 1984-05-11
    Humor : yeah
    Registration date : 2009-03-07

Tank SHot of my 100 gallon reef Empty Tank SHot of my 100 gallon reef

Post by pboost Fri 13 Mar 2009, 00:22

One tank shot of my 100gallon reef. Houses alot of softies(mushrooms,ricordia,leathers,feather dusters,star polyps variety of zoo's too.One plate coral doing very well. One very melnurished sun coral which was almost dead at the lfs. Spot feeding outside the tank is the key to get those babies to grow and to get enough food with out screwing your disply tank water chem up to much. Also 2 domino damsels, same pair of clowns ive had, and a coral beauty, Sea cucumber,3 urchins 1 tuxedo,2 purple tip ones. prolly 75 or so mixed blue/red crabs,few snails that are having babies all the time,and keeping my algae at a stronghold. One yellow/blue spot goby which i rarely see,and a diamond goby which is always out sifting sand.

Everything seems to be really taking off now that the tank is almost a year old. Let me tell you it takes alot live rock to fill the tank when cash was short i seeded almost half my tank with my own non live rock takes long while to get going but its flurishing now WOOT.

Tank SHot of my 100 gallon reef SANY0294

Tank SHot of my 100 gallon reef SANY0034

Tank SHot of my 100 gallon reef SANY0071-2

Tank SHot of my 100 gallon reef SANY0069

Tank SHot of my 100 gallon reef SANY0063

Tank SHot of my 100 gallon reef SANY0067

Last edited by pboost on Fri 13 Mar 2009, 03:37; edited 1 time in total
    crabby-girl
    crabby-girl
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Female Number of posts : 242
    Birthday : 1981-05-28
    Humor : Cats LOVE the fish:]
    Registration date : 2009-03-10

Tank SHot of my 100 gallon reef Empty re 100 gallon reef

Post by crabby-girl Fri 13 Mar 2009, 01:04

Would love to have a saltwater tank--maybe in the future--absolutely amazing they are. Just starting a Jack Dempsey tank--then gonna try some freshwater Discuss later. Hard to find good Discuss right now.My fish r smaller but beautiful--I will post some picks when I can. By the way my avatar is real--a shot of one of my tanks.

LOVE YOUR AQUARIUM SETUP
    cichlidlover27
    cichlidlover27
    Forum Moderation Team
    Forum Moderation Team

Male Number of posts : 477
    Birthday : 1981-01-07
    Humor : really funny

Tank SHot of my 100 gallon reef Empty Re: Tank SHot of my 100 gallon reef

Post by cichlidlover27 Fri 13 Mar 2009, 01:11

nice pboost its just a shame that my ph is screwed up here or else I would be posting up beautiful pics like yours once again very nice man cheers

just out of curiousity whats your magnesium running in that tank? because you have nice coraline algae.
    pboost
    pboost
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Tank SHot of my 100 gallon reef Empty Tank

Post by pboost Fri 13 Mar 2009, 03:34

mag level last week when i checked was bout 600 little high but nothing serious and everything seems very comfortable. LUcky i live close to the great lakes our ph is very nice as i don't use RO water ever never have had any type of problem. I just stick to the old saying if it isn't broke don't fix it. lol

Last edited by pboost on Thu 14 May 2009, 17:19; edited 1 time in total
    Cam
    Cam
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Male Number of posts : 633
    Birthday : 1979-09-09
    Humor : Usually:),..

Post by Cam Fri 13 Mar 2009, 11:08

Setup is amazing Pboost! Really wanting to start
    salt tank,..bought a 90g that was a salt tank,..
    couldn't have been for long, it's in nice shape.
    Only 1 problem, i don't know sh*t about salt tanks,..
    :)haha,..May have some q's for you and Shaun,..
    pboost
    pboost
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Tank SHot of my 100 gallon reef Empty Salt

Post by pboost Fri 13 Mar 2009, 11:51

One very important tip is pre setup time. Marine tanks are damn sensitive to water chem changes,everything from fish to pods are sensitive.

This tank was setup 14 weeks before i introduced any live rock from my small nano into it. Prior to that 75lbs of aragonite was dumped in around the 5 week mark if i remember right,then when i introduced my live rock i did take about 40lbs of live sand that was very established and mixed into my arag substrate. Once its stable i have not had any problem in my two salt tanks. It is not as hard as some may make it out to be. Don't jump right into hard corals and you should be ok. I have rather cheap 6 bulb t-5 lighting and i can not complain one bit about it.
    cichlidlover27
    cichlidlover27
    Forum Moderation Team
    Forum Moderation Team

Male Number of posts : 477
    Birthday : 1981-01-07
    Humor : really funny

Post by cichlidlover27 Fri 13 Mar 2009, 16:32

ya the last I had track you were into that small nano tank. nice though man very nice ya t5 is alright for lots of different corals. are you considering any hard corals or are you just going to keep what you have? I know them metal halide lighting is very very expensive. ya Cam like pboost has said its not that bad although I never kept coral except for the trumpet coral.....Shaun
    pboost
    pboost
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Tank SHot of my 100 gallon reef Empty Corals

Post by pboost Fri 13 Mar 2009, 18:05

With all the softies i have im pretty pleased how everything is coming along. One coral i do want is a small frogspawn, that will most likely be my last addition. Lately i have been fragging my mushrooms and moving them around the tank boy is it easy one sharp pair of scissors and i havn't had one not look good again the following day.
    Metal Maniac
    Metal Maniac
    Administrator-Founder-Owner

Male Number of posts : 2242
    Birthday : 1970-11-17
    Humor : Raunchie!!!
    Registration date : 2009-03-05

Post by Metal Maniac Fri 13 Mar 2009, 22:28

All i can say pboost is WOWOWOW!!!!!

That is SUCH an amazing tank..i remember when you started with the Nano and the clowns you had in it just after it finished cyclin but this is trully amazing!!!

How many hours do you spend a week on this beauti???

I have a 35 gal fish only tank that i find right now is alot of work for me Sad
    pboost
    pboost
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Tank SHot of my 100 gallon reef Empty tank cleaning

Post by pboost Sat 14 Mar 2009, 02:36

ummm honestly i do two small water changes a week about an 2hr each time and the real hard part is keeping the front glass free of coraline. I like the sides and back to be coverd makes it look like a little cave.
    Metal Maniac
    Metal Maniac

Post by Metal Maniac Wed 18 Mar 2009, 01:50

It looks absolutelly stunning pboost..and with such minimal maintanance..awsome!!! :cheers:
    burgh
    burgh
    General Fish Moderator
    General Fish Moderator

Male Number of posts : 352
    Birthday : 1974-06-29
    Humor : ...

Post by burgh Fri 20 Mar 2009, 01:33

A Pboost,

Looking good, I love your Maroon clown. I've have few diff types of clowns but not Maroons.
    pboost
    pboost
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Tank SHot of my 100 gallon reef Empty clowns

Post by pboost Fri 20 Mar 2009, 17:26

the clowns are great awesome little personalities. these two were swimming closely in a tank with about 30 of them i picked them hoping for a no fighting pair they have gotten little nasty at times but nothing serious.

I usually feed my tank right be for sun up on the lights. I did that as normal today then when tank lights came on i see my urchin trying to pick up the cucumber and has been like in the tugging battle for 2 hrs now just kinda worried the cucumber going to get stressed.

Any suggestions? i dont think i could do much now that i think of it

Tank SHot of my 100 gallon reef SANY0382
    Metal Maniac
    Metal Maniac

Post by Metal Maniac Sun 29 Mar 2009, 11:02

pboost wrote:the clowns are great awesome little personalities. these two were swimming closely in a tank with about 30 of them i picked them hoping for a no fighting pair they have gotten little nasty at times but nothing serious.

I usually feed my tank right be for sun up on the lights. I did that as normal today then when tank lights came on i see my urchin trying to pick up the cucumber and has been like in the tugging battle for 2 hrs now just kinda worried the cucumber going to get stressed.

First off pboost..i want to say the tank looks stunning!!!

BTW-how is the cucumber doing??

Sorry it took so long for someone to reply too your thead...i'm not a Mirine expert by any means but i told a freind about your post an he says if the slight battling continues to grab another urchin to distract it Neutral
    Metal Maniac
    Metal Maniac

Post by Metal Maniac Sun 29 Mar 2009, 11:04

Hey pbosst...how long after you set up before the coraline started growing on the tank walls???
    matthew.ball

Male Number of posts : 3
    Humor : "no fish are boring fish"
    Registration date : 2009-04-24

Post by matthew.ball Fri 24 Apr 2009, 20:54

hey pboost...tank look amazing.

I'm working on setting up a 35 gallon reef tank. I have a 150 gallon tank that I just haven't got around to setting up (mostly no help in moving the thing from the garage to the basement).

Wondering if you've ever kept any Tridacnidae clams before?

My thoughts on display setup is a nice U-shaped rock formation and then some clams in the middle of that in a deep sand bed or one large rock pile in the middle with corals and then clams and corals that like substrate instead of rock base around the rest of the tank.

The lights that will be on the tank are duel 96 watt (blue/white combination) compact fluorescents so I hope that's enough light for the lower-light clams available.

Any advice as I've never kept clams before.
    burgh
    burgh
    General Fish Moderator
    General Fish Moderator

Post by burgh Sat 25 Apr 2009, 00:40

A just a heads up, PC's don't give off enough light for a clam. Your best bet is to run MH's over your tank or line up T5's. Also if you have never had saltwater I would suggest doing alot of homework first and start off with some easy corals and work you way up to a clam. Some key points to saltwater are:

1. do alot of reading and when your done read somemore.

2. Try to join a local reef club -- they can help you out alot -- knowledge and equipement.

3. plan out what you want before you buy anything. reef, FOWLR,or mixed tank.

4. one of the most important rules ---- (patience and go "slow") the slower you go the less problems you will have and your tank will have time to mature.

5. Also read up on the diff. equipement. Lights, skimmers, fuge/sump, pumps, powerheads or some type of water movement, hydrometer, test kits, ect.

Hope this helps you, also a bigger saltwater tank is easier than a small one. Smaller tanks leave little room for mistakes.
    matthew.ball

Post by matthew.ball Sat 25 Apr 2009, 15:58

Thanks for the advice burgh.

I've already got a salt water tank running at the office, I just thought I'd try something different at home. Like I said, I've never kept clams before so I wanted to get some advice from people who've kept them before.

I figured duel 96 watt CF for a 35 gallon tank would be more than enough lighting for the less demanding clams but maybe I'll have to abandon that idea with this tank.

Any more input on clam keeping would be great.

Thanks
    burgh
    burgh
    General Fish Moderator
    General Fish Moderator

Post by burgh Sun 26 Apr 2009, 23:41

A its all good brother. I shouldn't say you (can't) keep one alive under those light, but It might not color up nor be as colorful as it should be. But it might be worth it. Some people will not agree but alot of this hobby you have to just try it sometimes. If you know someone that has a SW tank that could take the clam off your hands if it doesn't work it would be better thou.
    matthew.ball

Post by matthew.ball Mon 27 Apr 2009, 10:02

that's my biggest concern is not being able to provide enough light for it to live a healthy life.

I may still give it a shot and if there's problems definitely hit you up for the name of your guy so that way it'll be alright.

Does anyone know if lionfish (the volitan specifically) would nip at giant clams? I've done a lot of reading about lion's and they are considered reef-friendly to an extent (due to the fact they leave sessile inverts alone but eat any fish they can fit in their mouth and produce a lot of waste) but not sure if they'd take a nip at a clam.

Anyone know?
    pboost
    pboost
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post by pboost Fri 01 May 2009, 14:35

Metal Maniac wrote:
    pboost wrote:the clowns are great awesome little personalities. these two were swimming closely in a tank with about 30 of them i picked them hoping for a no fighting pair they have gotten little nasty at times but nothing serious.

First off pboost..i want to say the tank looks stunning!!!

BTW-how is the cucumber doing??

Sorry it took so long for someone to reply too your thead...i'm not a Mirine expert by any means but i told a freind about your post an he says if the slight battling continues to grab another urchin to distract it Neutral

Well it was a tugging battle i think i went out for dinner came back and the urchin was on the rock above the cucumber so im guessing the cucumber held its ground and the urchin went on his way when he figured out he couldnt carry him away lol.
    pboost
    pboost
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post by pboost Fri 01 May 2009, 14:36

Metal Maniac wrote:Hey pbosst...how long after you set up before the coraline started growing on the tank walls???

Well i think maybe about 6 weeks after i introduced the live rock that already had coraline on them, and i think the urchins munching on it carried it all over the tank more rapidly.
    pboost
    pboost
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post by pboost Fri 01 May 2009, 14:39

matthew.ball wrote:hey pboost...tank look amazing.

I'm working on setting up a 35 gallon reef tank. I have a 150 gallon tank that I just haven't got around to setting up (mostly no help in moving the thing from the garage to the basement).

Wondering if you've ever kept any Tridacnidae clams before?

My thoughts on display setup is a nice U-shaped rock formation and then some clams in the middle of that in a deep sand bed or one large rock pile in the middle with corals and then clams and corals that like substrate instead of rock base around the rest of the tank.

The lights that will be on the tank are duel 96 watt (blue/white combination) compact fluorescents so I hope that's enough light for the lower-light clams available.

Any advice as I've never kept clams before.

Never tried any clams as i hear they are real picky to lighting requirments my 6 t5's im sceptical on doing a clam some say you can do it if it is high up in the tank but i think ill wait untill i crack down and go metalhalide in the future.
    Metal Maniac
    Metal Maniac

Post by Metal Maniac Sun 31 May 2009, 18:36

pboost wrote:
    Metal Maniac wrote:Hey pbosst...how long after you set up before the coraline started growing on the tank walls???

Well i think maybe about 6 weeks after i introduced the live rock that already had coraline on them, and i think the urchins munching on it carried it all over the tank more rapidly.

Perfect!!! Tank SHot of my 100 gallon reef 63052

Thanxs for the info!!! Tank SHot of my 100 gallon reef 315146
    predator importer9
    predator importer9

Male Number of posts : 12
    Humor : none
    Registration date : 2009-03-11

Post by predator importer9 Wed 03 Jun 2009, 23:56

beautiful setup pboost

bet you have alot of cash invested there?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 19:27