Aggressive Predators United

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Aggressive Predators United

Aggressive Predators United Fish Forum - The Fastest Growing and Most Viewed Freshwater Online Community Dedicated to Rare, Exotic and Predatory Fish.

Ok APU,Time too send in your pics for the next POTM contest... Please email me at metal.maniac@live.com or please PM myself ...Depending on how many pics we get and the variety of species we will have several categories...Only 1 pic per member per species so you can send in 1 fish 1 cat 1 lizard just not 2 fish 2 cat...you get the idea!!...So send em in and lets make this a BIG ONE!!!... Cheers!!!...Metal Maniac and the APU Staff
APU is on Aquarium Directory- AquariumLinks.net!!!...check it out!!!
Please Vote For Us On AquaRank!!!

Affiliates

Cichlid Forum

Herp Center Network

Monster Fishkeepers

Aqua Adverts

APU Ads

Google

BETTAWAN

Dried Indian Almond Leaves

Zebra Finch CareSheet

Metal Maniac
    Metal Maniac
    Administrator-Founder-Owner
    Administrator-Founder-Owner

Male Number of posts : 2242
    Birthday : 1970-11-17
    Humor : Raunchie!!!
    Registration date : 2009-03-05

Zebra Finch CareSheet Empty Zebra Finch CareSheet

Post by Metal Maniac Fri 03 Apr 2009, 15:05

Zebra Finch CareSheet
    Basic Care
    Zebra finches are fun and easy to have in your home. They are a pleasure to view and their soft chirping is soothing. Whether you want only one pair to keep you company or you want to be a breeder with many birds, Zebras are a joy.

Zebra Finches originate from Australia. Zebras live in open grasslands with some bushes and trees. They live in dry areas over most of Australia. They live in groups and eat mostly grass seeds. They build their nests in bushes out of grass, straw, feathers and anything else they can find. They lay 3-6 eggs and both parents participate in raising the young. The currently accepted taxonomic nomenclature for the Zebra is "Taeniopygia guttata castanotis".

Zebra finches live to be 4-8 years of age. I have heard of birds living to 10 and 12 years old, but I think this is rare.

Males: The normal male bird has a gray upper body and wings. The belly is white. The beak and legs are a red-orange color. On each side of the head is a cheek patch. There is a 'tear drop' mark under the eye. This is a brown/tan/fawn color commonly called orange. The flanks/sides of the bird just below the wings, is a chestnut (orange) colored area with white dots. The chest is black and white stripped like a zebra, hence the name zebra finch. A truly beautiful bird!

Females: The female also has a gray upper body and wings with a white belly. The beak and legs are the same red-orange color but not as deep color, lighter. She has a black 'tear drop' mark under the eye. The most noticable differences between males and females are the cheek patches and the chest striping.

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024, 01:54