How are Members Curing there freshwater ich???
I've seen alot of people stuff there setups full of chemicals killing there whole systems
How are members curing this PEST???
Aggressive Predators United Fish Forum - The Fastest Growing and Most Viewed Freshwater Online Community Dedicated to Rare, Exotic and Predatory Fish.
Cam wrote:I treat with raised temp of 85 and dose with aquarium salt,..for those that do not
know, not just any salt but one based "sodium chloride (NaCl)",.. I treat my tank(s)
for 10 days,..
Chemical use is also affective (Malachite Green) but must be used per the directions
and be sure to remove any carbon used in filters first. The reason for such
lengthy treatment (7 days for chemicals) is meds are only affective at a certain
point in the parasites lifecycle,..when they are attached to your fish they are protected by the fish's
slimecoat from meds,..the parasite, after a few days it will drop off to reproduce completing the cycle.
This is when meds are affective, to stop the reproduction and kill the host. Do not
raise the temp above 75 on your tank when using chem meds,..both raised temps and
chemicals reduce oxygen levels in your water and when done together is well,..just
dont do it.
With a salt bath do not use both salt and chemical meds together,..raising the temp
of your water (85) will prevent the parasite from reproducing and the salt will kill
it,..even if after 4-5 days you dont see anymore signs of Ich continue the salt bath
for 10 days,..You can do water changes during a salt bath but remember to redose with
salt per the directions and tank volume afterwards. Surface agitation is very important
when raising temps as the higher the temp goes, the lower the oxgen level in the water gets.
Cam wrote:I rarely use any chemicals in my tanks and agree with ya on benefits of salt,..
Helps to heal injuries, promotes slime coat, improves gill function, reduces nitrite
spikes (poisoning) and adding hardness, works good for stress reduction, and
works great on parasites as stated above.
FYI~Salt use is harmful to scaleless fish/plecos and can kill off live plants,..