Aggressive Predators United

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Aggressive Predators United

Aggressive Predators United Fish Forum - The Fastest Growing and Most Viewed Freshwater Online Community Dedicated to Rare, Exotic and Predatory Fish.

Ok APU,Time too send in your pics for the next POTM contest... Please email me at metal.maniac@live.com or please PM myself ...Depending on how many pics we get and the variety of species we will have several categories...Only 1 pic per member per species so you can send in 1 fish 1 cat 1 lizard just not 2 fish 2 cat...you get the idea!!...So send em in and lets make this a BIG ONE!!!... Cheers!!!...Metal Maniac and the APU Staff
APU is on Aquarium Directory- AquariumLinks.net!!!...check it out!!!
Please Vote For Us On AquaRank!!!

Affiliates

Cichlid Forum

Herp Center Network

Monster Fishkeepers

Aqua Adverts

APU Ads

Google

BETTAWAN

Dried Indian Almond Leaves

3 posters

How are Members Curing there freshwater ich???

Metal Maniac
    Metal Maniac
    Administrator-Founder-Owner

Male Number of posts : 2242
    Birthday : 1970-11-17
    Humor : Raunchie!!!
    Registration date : 2009-03-05

How are Members Curing there freshwater ich??? Empty How are Members Curing there freshwater ich???

Post by Metal Maniac Mon 21 Jun 2010, 12:01

Hey APU,

How are Members Curing there freshwater ich???

I've seen alot of people stuff there setups full of chemicals killing there whole systems

How are members curing this PEST???

Freshwater Ich...

How are Members Curing there freshwater ich??? Ich10
    burgh
    burgh
    General Fish Moderator
    General Fish Moderator

Male Number of posts : 352
    Birthday : 1974-06-29
    Humor : ...
    Registration date : 2009-03-07

How are Members Curing there freshwater ich??? Empty Re: How are Members Curing there freshwater ich???

Post by burgh Mon 21 Jun 2010, 19:22

A Metal,

I can't remember the name of the stuff off the top of my head, but its blue. Something like ich off. I found it to work best if you pull all carbon out of your system raise the heat a bit and pull all gravel. Pulling gravel sucks , but to me its easier to clean it out of the tank than in the tank and missing alot of the eggs from the ich that haven't hatched yet. I will look to see if I can find the bottle so I can give you the correct name.
    burgh
    burgh
    General Fish Moderator
    General Fish Moderator

Male Number of posts : 352
    Birthday : 1974-06-29
    Humor : ...

How are Members Curing there freshwater ich??? Empty Re: How are Members Curing there freshwater ich???

Post by burgh Mon 21 Jun 2010, 19:26

Here's a link to show you what I have used in the past.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=quick+cure&cid=9689430634824700421&ei=1OYfTLemCYHEwQXIi5yzCA&sa=title&ved=0CBEQ8wIwAjgA#p

AP Quick Cure
    Cam
    Cam
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Male Number of posts : 633
    Birthday : 1979-09-09
    Humor : Usually:),..

Post by Cam Tue 22 Jun 2010, 23:44

I treat with raised temp of 85 and dose with aquarium salt,..for those that do not
    know, not just any salt but one based "sodium chloride (NaCl)",.. I treat my tank(s)
    for 10 days,..

Chemical use is also affective (Malachite Green) but must be used per the directions
    and be sure to remove any carbon used in filters first. The reason for such
    lengthy treatment (7 days for chemicals) is meds are only affective at a certain
    point in the parasites lifecycle,..when they are attached to your fish they are protected by the fish's
    slimecoat from meds,..the parasite, after a few days it will drop off to reproduce completing the cycle.
    This is when meds are affective, to stop the reproduction and kill the host. Do not
    raise the temp above 75 on your tank when using chem meds,..both raised temps and
    chemicals reduce oxygen levels in your water and when done together is well,..just
    dont do it.

With a salt bath do not use both salt and chemical meds together,..raising the temp
    of your water (85) will prevent the parasite from reproducing and the salt will kill
    it,..even if after 4-5 days you dont see anymore signs of Ich continue the salt bath
    for 10 days,..You can do water changes during a salt bath but remember to redose with
    salt per the directions and tank volume afterwards. Surface agitation is very important
    when raising temps as the higher the temp goes, the lower the oxgen level in the water gets.
    Metal Maniac
    Metal Maniac

Post by Metal Maniac Sat 26 Jun 2010, 18:29

Cam wrote:I treat with raised temp of 85 and dose with aquarium salt,..for those that do not
    know, not just any salt but one based "sodium chloride (NaCl)",.. I treat my tank(s)
    for 10 days,..

Chemical use is also affective (Malachite Green) but must be used per the directions
    and be sure to remove any carbon used in filters first. The reason for such
    lengthy treatment (7 days for chemicals) is meds are only affective at a certain
    point in the parasites lifecycle,..when they are attached to your fish they are protected by the fish's
    slimecoat from meds,..the parasite, after a few days it will drop off to reproduce completing the cycle.
    This is when meds are affective, to stop the reproduction and kill the host. Do not
    raise the temp above 75 on your tank when using chem meds,..both raised temps and
    chemicals reduce oxygen levels in your water and when done together is well,..just
    dont do it.

With a salt bath do not use both salt and chemical meds together,..raising the temp
    of your water (85) will prevent the parasite from reproducing and the salt will kill
    it,..even if after 4-5 days you dont see anymore signs of Ich continue the salt bath
    for 10 days,..You can do water changes during a salt bath but remember to redose with
    salt per the directions and tank volume afterwards. Surface agitation is very important
    when raising temps as the higher the temp goes, the lower the oxgen level in the water gets.

All good Remedies!!!

I like the Salt and temp Raise method...the Chemicals to me seems like im shortening the fishes life expectancy...and the salt has sooo many other benefits! How are Members Curing there freshwater ich??? 63052
    Cam
    Cam
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Male Number of posts : 633
    Birthday : 1979-09-09
    Humor : Usually:),..

Post by Cam Sun 27 Jun 2010, 02:18

I rarely use any chemicals in my tanks and agree with ya on benefits of salt,..
    Helps to heal injuries, promotes slime coat, improves gill function, reduces nitrite
    spikes (poisoning) and adding hardness, works good for stress reduction, and
    works great on parasites as stated above.

FYI~Salt use is harmful to scaleless fish/plecos and can kill off live plants,..
    Metal Maniac
    Metal Maniac

Post by Metal Maniac Sat 03 Jul 2010, 04:53

Cam wrote:I rarely use any chemicals in my tanks and agree with ya on benefits of salt,..
    Helps to heal injuries, promotes slime coat, improves gill function, reduces nitrite
    spikes (poisoning) and adding hardness, works good for stress reduction, and
    works great on parasites as stated above.

FYI~Salt use is harmful to scaleless fish/plecos and can kill off live plants,..

And this info you posted Cam is most important and often forgotten...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 20:11